As the discipline of change management grows so to do the number and diversity of change management job roles.
In this post we build on our recent free webinars, to explore Prosci's change management Best Practices research data; examining 5 key trends impacting jobs for change management.
1. Prevalence of change management jobs
2. Location of change management jobs
3. Change management job roles and titles
4. Change management salaries
5. The emergence of change management career paths
We then go on to suggest 3 options open to change practitioners looking for the next step in their own career path. Options from Prosci, the Association of Change Management Professionals (ACMP) and from CMC Partnership in Asia and beyond.
If you are interested in getting your own copy of the Best Practices in Change Management 2018 Edition, visit our bookstore here.
5 KEY TRENDS IN CHANGE MANAGEMENT JOB ROLES:
When conducting a search for change management job roles today and you will discover an ever-growing list of roles, opportunities and titles from all over the world. Today you are likely to find over 60,000 change management job roles available at any one time, and it wasn't always like that. Just a few years ago the number of roles with change management in their title was less than half this number. This growth in the number of available roles is a strong marker that shows the discipline is maturing rapidly.
Let's explore Prosci's Best Practices research a little further to uncover the trends in job roles:-
1. Trend #1 Prevalence - the data tells us that around 50% of organisations have change management job roles but while 22% of those organisations report they have had those roles for more than 6 years, 57% of these organisations have only had change management roles in place for 3 years or less.
2. Trend #2 Location - the data tells us that 55% to 75% of organisations in Banking, Insurance, Finance, Services and Pharmaceutical are most likely to have change management roles especially if they are located in countries with high change management maturity (the USA, Canada, Australia & New Zealand). The availability of roles is also correlated to the employee and revenue size of the organisation. The larger the organisation the more likely it is to have change management roles. Within a single organisation, 61% of respondents report change management roles being located within a single function, with HR or the PMO being the most popular functions.
3. Trend #3 Roles and Titles - whilst training and communications have long been the foundational change management activities for a practitioner increasingly, the data tells us, organisations are looking for individuals who can drive successful change adoption throughout the whole organisation on multiple projects/programs simultaneously. 63% of respondents report that on average they are supporting the change management activities on between 2 and 4 projects per annum yet only 49% of respondents have permanent full-time, as opposed to part-time, change management job titles and roles.
4. Trend #4 Remuneration - here 43% of respondents report an average salary for a change management role in the range of $100,000 US to $150,000 with an overall average of just over $103,000 from all respondents.
5. Trend #5 Career Paths
The data tells us that less than 1 in 5 respondents reported that their organisations had a change management career path in place. Even though 73% of organisations also report that they are at or past the point of change saturation, ie where the volume and pace of change are more than the organisations is collectively able to absorb and adapt to extract full business value or ROI.
3 CAREER PATH OPTIONS FOR CHANGE PRACTITIONERS
So what are the implications of this data on the options available to professionals looking to take the next step in their career path? How can you successfully differentiate yourself in this growing market? We offer the following 3 suggestions:
1. Consider an Advanced Track from Prosci
Prosci have the following 3 Advanced Tracks open to practitioners looking to take the next step. All three tracks consist of further mandatory learning, development and recording of change implementation experience based upon elective modules and assessment of a "Capstone Project" to confirm the advanced certification.
a) Prosci certified Advanced Practitioner - Deliver exceptional results through the expert application of change management on projects and programs. Become the guru of change management able to deliver complex change projects and programs in your organisation.
Step 1: Participate in Prosci's Experienced Practitioner Program from CMC
b) Prosci Certified Advanced Deployment Leader - Grow organisational capability and agility through the strategic deployment and internalisation of change management throughout your organisation, so that it becomes an organisational core competency.
Step 1. Participate in the 1-day Prosci Enterprise Change Management (ECM) bootcamp from CMC
c) Prosci certified Advanced Instructor - Build individual competencies through the effective facilitation of role-based training and certification. Become the person leading the effort to train employees, managers and senior leaders in your organisation in how to extract the benefits from a structured change management approach.
Step 1. Participate in the 3 day Prosci Train the Trainer program from CMC
2. Become a Certified Change Management Professional (CCMP) from ACMP
As an alternative and also a complement to your Prosci qualification, CMC recommend practitioners consider solidifying their experience and qualification independently by submitting themselves to the method-neutral CCMP qualification offered by the not for profit industry association ACMP. More details of the requirements, process, costs and benefits of CCMP accreditation can be found at myccmp.org. With only 460 CCMP's qualified worldwide, this rigorous standard is one way to make yourself stand out in a crowd.
3. Obtain some expert coaching from CMC
With over 130 people working in and around the fields of change management, project/program management and business analysis in Europe and Asia CMC is well positioned to offer individual change management practitioner customised 1:1 coaching services based upon our 20+ years of practical and pragmatic change delivery client work. We can deliver these coaching services to you either remotely via phone/webcast - we call this CMC Practitioner Plus - or on site for you and your change team - we call this the CMC Change Accelerator Workshop. More information is available on our international website or our Asia specific site, on cmcpartnership.comor cmcpartnership.sg
We hope that you have found this post on change management job trends, what it means for you and how to take your career path forward, informative! Please get in touch or if you are ready to enrol and boost your skills see all of our available courses below.